Job Description and Application Process
DIRECTOR OF ASSET MANAGEMENT
About the role
Mongoose Energy is a community energy start-up that has the goal of transforming the way energy is owned, generated and supplied in the UK. The company is majority owned by local community groups across the country and works to identify, develop, finance, build and manage community-owned, clean energy projects.
Launched in March 2015, we are a small but growing business employing 15 people across two locations in the UK. We currently manage just under half the community-owned renewable energy assets in England and Wales, primarily solar PV, and expect our portfolio to grow to around 100MW under management over the next year.
As a rapidly expanding business, one of our key challenges is building the business systems capable of delivering quality services to our clients at the required scale and efficiency. We are therefore looking to recruit a Director of Asset Management who will ensure that we have a clear strategy backed by the required business infrastructure, and support the development of our existing highly-motivated and skilled team.
The role will provide the successful candidate with an accelerated route into senior management of a fast-growing solar PV asset manager with strong prospects for advancement as the company grows and expands into new areas.
Being a small business, the ideal candidate will be a self-starter, hands-on and flexible, a good communicator and team worker, with excellent analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of small and medium-scale renewable energy.
Reporting directly to the CEO and working closely with our Finance Director and Commercial Director, the Director of Asset Management will have the following core responsibilities:
- Directing Mongoose’s asset management business, including project operations, contract management, client reporting & accounting compliance, investor relations.
- Managing a team with the skills and capacity to be the “go-to” asset manager for the community energy sector in the UK.
- Overseeing relationships with Mongoose’s clients, liaising where necessary with client chairs and other client board directors.
- Overseeing procurement and negotiation of contracts with service providers.
- Developing a medium-term business plan for the asset management business, identifying opportunities for further growth and optimising the value of the assets under management, including budgets, deadlines, KPIs, marketing.
Ensuring that Mongoose maintains the appropriate business infrastructure to enable it to deliver high-quality services and meet the needs of its clients.
- Being an active member of Mongoose Energy’s Executive Management Team, contributing to setting the business’s long-term strategy.
Other responsibilities include:
- Ensuring compatibility and integration with our project development/finance and crowd funding businesses.
- Ensuring that Mongoose maintains compliance with relevant regulations and contractual agreements, including health and safety, data protection, financial promotions, software licenses.
- Developing new services for the business to deliver and winning new business.
- Ensuring that colleagues have the appropriate business tools to do their jobs.
- Public representation of Mongoose, e.g. industry events.
Knowledge and experience
- Five years’ experience of asset management in the energy sector, preferably in renewable energy, and with some knowledge of community energy
- Experience of line management
Experience of client relations
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably in: engineering, environmental science/management, business management, economics/finance
- Highly numerate and good interpersonal communication skills
- Project management experience and/or qualifications, e.g. PRINCE2, preferred
- Ability to provide leadership to, and to support the professional development of, a team with diverse skills and experiences
- Strategic thinking with an ability to identify and evaluate new business opportunities
- Attention to detail while maintaining focus on commercial priorities
- Interest in and commitment to building the UK’s community energy sector
- Ability to work flexibly, to prioritise a heavy and diverse workload and to communicate priorities and deadlines to colleagues and clients
- Ability to maintain a positive and approachable attitude with clients and colleagues even when working under pressure
- Competitive annual salary dependent on experience
- 25 days holiday per year
- 5% employer pension contribution
- Training budget
The role will be based in London but the successful candidate must be prepared for travel to our other offices near Corsham, Wiltshire. The candidate should also expect to make regular trips to the clients and generation assets managed by Mongoose Energy.
Mongoose Energy is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age